How to setup your Nano S
Everything is simple, you need to follow these steps and you’re ready to be as secure as you can be.
When a user receives their Ledger wallet for the first time, it must always be initialized using the steps below:
- Powering on the device
- Generating a pin code
- Generating 24 words
The first step is to download the app on your computer.
1. Set up a new device:
- Connect the Ledger Nano S to your computer using the supplied USB cable. Your device should display Welcome to Ledger Nano S. Please contact Ledger if the device immediately asks for a PIN code. It may not be safe to continue using this device.
- Press the left or right button to navigate through the on-screen instructions.
- Press both buttons simultaneously to choose the option Set up as a new device.
2. Choose your PIN Code:
- Press both buttons when Choose PIN code is displayed on the device.
- Press the right or left button to choose the first digit of your PIN code.
- Press both buttons to enter a digit.
- Repeat the process until you’ve entered 4 to 8 digits.
- Select the checkmark (✓) and press both buttons to confirm the PIN code.
Use the backspace icon to erase a digit.
- Confirm your PIN code by entering it once more.
Choose your own PIN code. This code unlocks your device.
An 8-digit PIN code offers an optimal level of security.
Never use a device supplied with a PIN code and/or a recovery phrase.
Contact Ledger Support in case of doubt.
3. Write down your recovery phrase:
The Ledger Nano S screen will now read out your 24-word recovery phrase word by word. Your private keys have no other backups besides the recovery phrase. It will only be shown once.
- Take the blank Recovery sheet supplied in the box.
- Write down the first word (Word #1) on the Recovery sheet. Verify that you have copied it correctly in position 1.
- Press the right button to move to the second word (Word #2). Write it in position 2 on the Recovery sheet. Verify that you’ve copied it correctly. Repeat the process until the twenty-fourth word (Word #24).
- Press both buttons to Confirm your recovery phrase.
- Select the requested word by navigating with the left or right button. Validate the word by pressing both buttons. Repeat this step for each requested word.
- Your device will display Processing and then Your device is now ready once you’ve successfully completed the setup process.
- Press both buttons to access the Dashboard. The Dashboard is where you can access the apps and settings on your device.
Anyone with access to your recovery phrase could take your assets, store it securely.
Ledger does not keep a backup of your 24 words.
You can also watch Ledger’s official video on how to set it up here.
This is it! It’s not as bad as it sounds, you just need to be really careful when setting it up, as it’s one of the most important things when you are in the crypto business.
Wish you luck and a lot of assets on your ledger!